The Outlook from Microsoft has always been in the news for frequent updates. When you install Microsoft Office on Windows, then the Outlook app also gets installed. This app can be used to send emails and personal messaging for free. Not only for communication but you can also use the Outlook app for task management, note-taking, events manager using the calendar, and as a web browser too. The user base of Outlook has grown a lot since it was launched and now about 400 million people use it daily for email sending and other things. Using Outlook is very simple but some options are not clearly visible which might create confusion among the users.
A majority of Outlook users around the world don’t know how to unsend an email in Outlook. Yes, it is possible to recall a sent email in Outlook officially and you don’t have to use a third-party app/service for that. Almost every email client has started offering this option to the users and so does Outlook. You can unsend an email message once it is sent to make changes to it or delete it. Remember that this feature will work only when both the sender and recipient are using the Outlook service. This feature comes in handy many times, so read this post till the end to know how to unsend an email in Outlook web app.
How to unsend an email message In Microsoft Outlook App and online
- First of all, open the Microsoft Outlook app or website and go to the Sent Items folder in it.
- Now, double-click on the email message that you want to recall.
- When the message opens, click on File and then tap on Info.
- In the Info tab, you need to click on Message Resend and Recall > Recall This Message.
- A pop-up will 2 options will appear on your screen. You can select one between them according to the action you want to take on the sent message.
- Delete Unread Copies of This Message – This option will recall the sent Outlook message and it will be saved as a draft again in your mailbox.
- Delete Unread Copies and Replace With A New Message – If you have made mistake in typing or want to make changes to the sent message with the motive of sending it again, then you can click on it.
- Now, you can edit the sent message and click on the Send button to send the edited text message.
- Alternatively, you can also tick the tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient option to get notifications about the delivery success and failure.
- Now, click on OK and you are done with Outlook email message recalling and editing.
Precautions to take while sending an email with Outlook
Set-up Delay Time In Outlook – You don’t have to use the message recalling feature if you take precautions. There are some ways you can follow to make fewer mistakes and customize the delivery time of an email. All popular email services offer this feature and you must enable it in Outlook. You can navigate to File > Manage Rules & Alerts. Now, set the Delay Time for which your email will wait before getting sent to the recipient. This will give you enough time to read and act so you can edit or delete the message without recalling it.
Use Apps Like Grammarly – If you are bad at grammar and often make mistakes while typing then you can consider using apps like Grammarly to fix these errors. Grammarly is free and you can use any of its applications like browser extensions, desktop, or mobile apps for complete grammar correction. If you are using Outlook for professional email services, then we will recommend you to go with paid plans for it.
FAQs related to Outlook message recalling
Yes, it is possible to unsend Outlook messages even after 1 hour because there is no time limit when it comes to recalling a message. There’s an official statement provided by Microsoft that claims to let users recall email messages in Outlook after many hours.
You can turn on the Recall notification option in the Outlook app to get the status of your recalled messages. We have shared the steps above to enable this feature and you can follow the same. Also, when you will recall a message if it comes directly to your trash bin or drafts folder, then it means the recalling is successful.
There are quite a few reasons available out there by which you might not be able to recall the Outlook message. Make sure you both are using Outlook and your account is working on the Exchange server. You can’t recall a message if the recipient has already opened the email or when you have sent an email to a public folder.
It doesn’t matter if you are using a Windows PC, Mac, iOS, or Android app, this feature is available on all devices. You can follow the guide posted above to unsend email in Outlook in 2022 without any assistance. Also, you must not use third-party email management services to do that because the option is available officially.
We hope you are able to do this now and if you have any questions related to unsend email in Microsoft Outlook, then you can contact us for help. If you know about some more ways to unsend messages in Outlook without any tool or software then do let us know about them too so we can include them in this post.